Letters to the Editor Dec. 17, 2021

Dear Editor,

Personally, I think faculty does try to maintain the school in a good way. However, I do think there are many things that could happen to make the school better in terms of the learning environment and overall quality. 

I would like to talk about the new lunch arrangements. Personally, I do not favor the way lunch is now. Yes, while it is good that we’re able to sit with peers if we have them during the same lunchtime, it creates a hectic and unsettling feeling, especially since the events that occurred on Dec. 3. 

Another section that needs growth would be the dress code. Many students already complain about the dress code, and many have good reasons to do so. Many female students agree with the fact that the dress code targets female students with only a little regard to male students. If we were able to make some more changes to the dress code, I feel as if the school environment in terms of collectiveness would be better. I don’t understand why students should be denied their education by being kicked out of classrooms strictly because of an article of clothing. Overall I think the quality of the school is gradually improving and that if there are more opportunities for students to express themselves the school will evolve even faster. 

sophomore

I’Nailyne Darby

Dear Editor,

What is school? How does school affect our lives? School is a place where kids go to study about common things. Most kids don’t really like school and think it is boring and a waste of time, but LDHS is an exception to most schools. 

There are many things to like about life here at Laurens, for example, the vending machines that we have at school. Whenever you are hungry or just need a little snack to last the period, you can go to the vending machines. There’s two places where you can buy snacks: in Common or in the L building. Some more things to like about Laurens are the school spirit, or just the atmosphere at Laurens. Everyone is kind, and it can be easy to make friends here. For the kids that want to be farmers or want a blue collar job. Laurens has many classes for this, like the agriculture classes and welding. 

Just like anything there are also things to hate about Laurens. There is an unsaid rule here at Laurens that many teachers go by. The rule is that the boys can wear whatever they want, but the girls always have to be cautious on what they wear. This is something that affects many schools, but I feel like here at Laurens this rule is most known. 

Another thing not to like about Laurens is how the school is shaped. I know it might seem weird at first, but if you ever see an aerial view, then you might agree with me. Most schools are usually two or three stories tall, but not Laurens. Instead of height, Laurens has length. Many classes are like almost half a mile away. With this, you also have to walk to your class in under five minutes. This is what might cause students to have many tardies. 

Now there are the  reasons why I like Laruens — for its positivity and good choices in classes, and also there are reasons why I don’t like Laurens — for its dress code and how the school is built. So, do YOU like school? 

sophomore

Johanna Vera Flores

Dear Editor, 

A problem I think we need to really look at in this school is security. I think we should have to scan our IDs so that no one from the outside can come in and cause us harm or anything like that. The reason I have started to look at this problem was the lockdown on Dec. 3. 

I feel school shootings are becoming much more common and they need to be settled. A lot of places are doing nothing about this issue other than having more police at doors and keeping bookbags outside, but what can that truly do? Students could easily say they are going to the bathroom but then get the weapon out of their bookbags. 

These incidents have honestly made me feel very unsafe at school, which is a place I should be excited to come to because I get free lunch, get a free education, and I get to connect with other kids around my age in the community. These incidents have changed my perspective on school. 

junior

Kyleigh Medford

Dear Editor,

I think we need better lunch food and need to have the hour lunch. The food is not good and we have a different variety of food. I only have a few friends for lunch this year, and I don’t like eating in the classroom because I don’t know any people in my third period. I think letting everyone eat together is good, because some people don’t have people to eat with, and letting them have a choice of who they eat with will be a good idea. I think the school should spend a little bit more money on getting better food for us students. If they want kids to be healthy, they have to have better food. The food needs better taste and different choices, like a healthy lunch choice.

sophomore

Jordan Hudson

Dear Editor,                                                                                           

There’s a lot going on with the dress code, especially with the girls. The guys could wear anything, and they don’t get in trouble, but we get to wear duck tape on pants and have to wear jackets. It’s kinda sad that guys can’t keep their eyes off our shoulders or thighs. I would like to wear the pants I like and not cover it up and be ashamed of my legs. It makes people uncomfortable and insecure about themselves. I’m just saying that’s kinda messed up and depressing that the girls have to feel that way. 

sophomore

Savannah Riggins  

Dear Editor,

I am writing this to inform you of my opinion about my school, Laurens District 55, and the dress code that has been written for students and teachers to follow. I personally believe that the dress code that is being enforced is very biased towards the woman. I do understand some policies such as no violent logos, no gang signs, and no profanity written on clothing; however, some of the rules are a little strict.

I feel like the dress code should be enforced in a way that BOTH males and females should be treated equally. Girls are not allowed to wear shorts higher than three inches above their knees; however, the gentlemen at our school wear the shortest shorts, and they never get dress coded. I feel like if the dress code has to be enforced that we should all be able to wear the same things. This is just how I feel, and I can not speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself.

junior

Magdalena Bettger

Dear Editor, 

I think that Laurens High School should change the lunch food and put  different types of places we can choose from like chick fil a or house of pizza. They should give all sports the same sportsmanship they do for football. They should let us have a vote on eating in commons rather than making us eat in commons because most likely eating in commons is mainly how a lot of drama gets started . Fights get started quickly when you are around a lot of people because it’s a group of people hyping on negative things and that’s how things get out of hand. 

sophomore

Shanayi Chinn

Dear editor,

I think this school year we have had a little more freedom, but not enough. All of the COVID restrictions are gone, but not much changed. I think that we should go to the old high school days where we could do everything but not anything. We should be able to do anything during the lunch period. We should be able to go outside, stay in our class, go to other classes, etc.

sophomore

Robert Motte 

Dear Editor, 

As we come to the end of the first semester of the 2021school year, I would say this has been the most school-like setting we have been in since 2018. LDHS was really close to being back to its “norm,” even with COVID-19 still lingering today. Some of the things I enjoyed this semester were all of the pep rallies, the Varsity football and volleyball games, the Homecoming parade, FNL, eating lunch in the cafeteria instead of the classrooms, the 3 vs. 3 basketball and volleyball games during the pep rallies and making new friends. This semester was one that I will never forget!

junior

Aubrey Wardell

Dear Editor, 

I am writing to you about LDHS’s school lunch. I feel as though we should go back to iLunch. iLunch was a time where everyone in school could eat with their favorite people, favorite teachers, favorite friends. When we had that lunch, everyone at school was so happy. You could even hang out with your friends in other grades. Some kids I know have no other friends besides their friends in a higher or lower grade. The lunch we have now is separated by the part of the building we are in and the time we go, and it is not as fun. You have to stay in the Commons and stay seated. You can not be standing up or walking around. Plus I still see some kids sitting by themselves because their friends are not in the same lunch with them. This is why I think we should have iLunch again — a time to reconnect with  friends and teachers.  

sophomore

Gryffin Yonce 

Dear Editor,

I think we need to have more freedom during lunch. Recently they changed it to where certain classes go into Commons and all eat together. I thought at first it would be better than sitting in the classroom, but it’s not because I don’t have any close friends in there, but I can’t get on my phone in Commons. So that means I just have to sit there, and I dread it every day. If they made it how it used to be where everyone has the same lunch and you get to hang out with all of your friends, it would be great. Some of my really close friends from middle school I don’t get to see anymore, but changing the lunch schedule would make it to where I could. I know some people who have already graduated who said that lunch was the best part of their day, but to me it’s one more bad thing that I don’t wanna do. 

sophomore

Samantha Nimmons