Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor, 

Thank you for including topics such as the Black Lives Matter protests and discussing police brutality. It’s a very taboo subject in our area and particularly this school, so it must’ve taken courage to publish it. It’s been a huge topic for a long time and especially in the last year. I’ve always wanted to see it discussed in school as it impacts many students. I think many other POC students have wanted to see issues that affect them addressed, as it often feels like our school doesn’t ever address them. There is no denying the importance of the BLM movement, and it was really great to see it highlighted in the newspaper. I just wanted to thank you, the editor, for including it and the writer for creating the piece. 

Sincerely,

Sophomore Marcelina Barcenas

Dear Editor, 

I have been thinking about lunch all year. My freshman year, we were all at lunch together, and it was my favorite part of the day. Although I love my 3rd, I never see some of my closest friends anymore. I used to only see them at lunch, and now that is taken away. I know Corona restricted some of that, but next year is a new school year, and with the numbers decreasing, I feel like we should be able to bring lunch back. I’ve talked to some of the teachers and students that have already graduated, and they all said the same. They all said that lunch was their favorite part of the day, and they don’t think we should have that taken away from us. Lunch should  be shared with the classmates that we choose. We need a break throughout the day, and we should have it with whomever we want. So next year, we should go back to the hour lunch break and let us make memories in the lunchroom. 

Sincerely, 

Sophomore Brianna Burrafato

Dear Editor,

This past year has been pretty rough; our mental health has been destroyed, having fun no longer exists, and we can’t even be in public or around anyone without getting judged. I think this coming year we all need one mental health day each week; even just one or two hours off from school each week would help. COVID has been a trainwreck, and it has had a very big impact on each of our lives. We need this break. They tell us to talk to adults or someone we trust when we need help. This is the student body asking you for help. It’s getting closer and closer to the end of the semester; summer is only like six weeks long. We need to get started on the next school year now. 

Sincerely, 

Sophomore Haylie Cannon

Dear Editor,

I would like to take this opportunity to share my story of enduring a long distance relationship during a pandemic. Physical touch is one of the most crucial things in a relationship, but during the peak of the COVID outbreak, it was far from reachable. We are 227.6 miles apart, North Carolina to South Carolina, so it was a lot of gas to be buying while prices skyrocketed every day. Our minds filled with nervousness and anxiety due to being unsure of the next time we could be together. Thankfully, we have Facetime. Facetime makes it seem like we’re together 24/7, when in reality we are a state apart, living different lives. Pre-COVID, many people were able to go on many dates without masks, but for us the closest we got was using an app which allowed us to watch a movie together online. Long distance has been one of the most beautiful, challenging and sometimes heartbreaking experiences this past year. I never knew how important touch and communication are until I met him, and I’ll forever look forward to that 3 ½ hour drive. Thank you for listening.

Sincerely,

Sophomore Madison Coleman

Dear Editor,

It has come to my peers’ and my attention that our lunch schedule isn’t particularly great. Instead of enjoying our brief break among our good friends, we must sit amongst our normal block classes. The administration may not see all that we do, so I feel it is my duty to bring the issues that occur with this schedule to light. Having such a schedule forces students to stay with classmates, even if the relationship between said classmates is not good. A student may be going through harassment and bullying and is not able to escape these disturbances. Many of my friends that are part of the LGBTQ+ community have expressed their concerns and stories of how this schedule separates them from their peers, putting them in uncomfortable situations. This highly upsets me and makes me wonder how many more encounters have occurred that have not been brought to the administration’s attention.

COVID-19 has thrown a wrench into our plans as a school, but as mask restrictions loosen, COVID cases drop, vaccine usage inclines and immunity rises, we should prepare a schedule that allows students to assemble in their respective friend groups.

Sincerely, 

Sophomore Morgan Harshaw

Dear Editor, 

What I would like to address is lunch. We have almost the same thing every week (other than chicken nuggets, pizza and chicken sandwich) and we also get the same sides. Half the time I go to lunch, the food is cold, and I’m one of the first classes to go. Also, the apple juice and milk is usually frozen. Also like I previously said, I would like a better variety of choices and also have the right temperature for food and drinks. Last of all, bring the mashed potatoes back. Those mashed potatoes were the best thing to ever enter Laurens cafeterias. 

Sincerely, 

Sophomore Cohen Maness

Dear Editor,

I have enjoyed y’alls newspaper for a very long time, but I feel that the last edition of the Sword & Shield was very morbid and cryptic. I believe that world politics should stay out of a high school newspaper; I know that we are all about to be young adults, but this is a school. As well as certain parents of students may not want their child to know about such things; maybe they want to attempt at giving them a childhood where they don’t worry obsessively about the cruel and harsh world around them. I believe that a high school newspaper should be lighthearted and fun, a place for people to debate their ideas about lunches, dress codes, school rules, school times, etc. If they want to hear about the world’s problems, why not open the phone that is attached to everyone and read it there? 

Sincerely,

Sophomore Addison G. Morris 

Dear Editor, 

COVID is something that changed each of our lives. Being a sophomore in high school, I haven’t had a full year of school since eighth grade. Ninth grade was cut short because of the pandemic, and tenth grade started late with constant quarantine. But now that we have made it through the second semester successfully, we are awaiting the last day of school, which seems like it will never come. I think the students are excited for this summer because it’s a chance to rebuild the connections we may have lost over the course of this pandemic. Hopefully the world will get back to normal and we can enjoy life to the fullest like we used to. 

Sincerely, 

Sophomore Anna Nance Reynolds  

Dear Editor,

I feel as though lunch should go back to normal for the 2021-2022 school year. Lunch this year has isolated students from being able to take a break from classes and catch up with friends. While this year’s weird lunch schedule was necessary for social distancing, maybe we are ready to go back to normal. Students should be able to have their lunch time to sit where they want, talk to their friends and just be normal high schoolers again. When students have to eat in class, many substitute teachers think that lunch time is still class time, so they make students throw out their lunch even when they aren’t done eating, or they will make students get right back to work after eating their lunch, even if their lunch time isn’t completely over. If we start dismissing at 3:25 again and rearrange class times a bit, we could have around 30-45 minutes of lunch time to give students a much deserved and needed mental break every day to refresh their minds for learning. 

Sincerely,

Sophomore Abigail Whitten

Dear Editor,

An idea you should write an article about is the COVID-19 vaccines. The vaccines are available to high school students, so it is relevant to the school community. Some students think the vaccines are the start of ending the pandemic, while others think it is absurd and will cause damage to them in the future as they age. Everyone’s opinion is different about it, and it will give you a wide range of perspectives.

You could go further to interview those who have actually received the vaccine and how they felt the following days after it. You could also interview some teachers, the health teachers, as well as the nurse. Naturally the older generation that is the teachers will have a different viewpoint on the vaccines than the younger people. 

Besides people’s opinions you could also be informative of the vaccine. Like what places will offer the vaccine? What does it take to get it? Are there any health regulations you have to pass? Just the basic information that is open to everyone in the public.

Sincerely,

Sophomore Morgan Garrett

Dear Editor, 

Recently, a huge change throughout our school has occurred regarding COVID and mask mandates. I’m sure most know that Henry McMaster issued Executive Order 2021-23 on May 11, 2021, allowing parents to have the choice whether or not to require their child to wear a mask to public school. Since this executive order, we’ve watched our school slowly find its way back to normal. Although our school is not where it was pre-COVID, it’s exciting to see that it’s definitely on a path leading us to the normal we all knew before our lives were all impacted by COVID-19. I can’t wait to see what changes our school will make in the future to allow us to have the closest to normal high school experience that we can have. 

Sincerely, 

Sophomore Stella Jenkins

Dear Editor, 

This past week of my sophomore year has been the best week yet since COVID-19 hit. Every day this past year has been about masks, shields, six feet apart, and two weeks of quarantine. The Powderpuff game was a highlight that made me have hope again of having a normal high school experience. Watching the girls play football and the guys dressed in little skirts cheering fellow students was hilarious. I got to cheer from the stands mask free. I got to talk to my friends, and after the game, I was able to walk on the field and congratulate the winning teams. I never knew how much I would miss a normal day. It was nice seeing everyone’s smile again, and knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that we are near it. I hope that next year, we can continue step by step to have everything back to normal.

Sincerely,

Sophomore Madelyn Orcutt

Dear Editor, 

I have come to realize that our school needs more social clubs. To be more specific, a dance team would be nice to have at this school. Creativity and self-expression are important in a child’s well-being, and dancing is an easy and fun way to become active. Dancing has many benefits, from physical movement to confidence-boosting. You don’t have to be an expert at dancing because the point of a dance team is to have fun and relieve stress. If LDHS had a dance team, then dancing would improve students’ moods, may help with depression and anxiety. Music and dance help stimulate a child’s brain, which helps the student improve their grades. There are many more pros, but these are a couple of reasons why social clubs, like a dance team, would benefit the students at LDHS.

Sincerely,

Sophomore Viviana Reyna 

Dear Editor,

The issue I would like to address is the lack of sports we have as a school. We have the basics including football, basketball, volleyball, track, golf and tennis. However, I think we would be able to grow as a school if we include sports that are less common. These sports include lacrosse, judo, polo and even hockey. I’m aware that some of these sports are pricey, but since the competition in these sports is small, the odds of being good are not that bad. Theoretically, if we succeed in these sports, it would bring very much needed positive publicity to our school and sports, allowing us to gain sponsors and do more for the athletics community and education. GO RAIDERS !

Sincerely,

Sophomore Andy Robertson 

Dear Editor,

I am writing today about the comical school year of 2019-2020. 

The first thing that happened was around March 17, 2020, most states closed their schools due to COVID-19, but not the academics. Many schools switched from in-person schooling to virtually teaching over a computer. Many students had a hard time focusing and learning through a computer, while others went smoothly with the transition. One positive thing that came out of that was the somewhat long summer we had. One negative thing that came out of COVID-19 was that our seniors were gonna experience a school year they never saw coming. They were hanging out with their friends virtually, not being able to see their friends before they all left for college and not being able to get the right kind of teaching due to their hard classes before they went off to college.

The second occasion that happened was the mandating of masks. Once schools opened back up, the masks became mandatory. People have their opinions about the masks. Personally, I know many people who hate wearing masks, and I respect the people who want everyone to wear them. I think it should have been up to the students’ opinion if they wanted to wear the masks or not to begin with.

The last thing that happened was DHEC allowed for people to be able to sign a waiver, allowing parents to understand that their child and the parent are okay with the child not wearing a mask. Schools are still allowing for the shield protectors to stay up for the people who aren’t wearing a mask. I personally think that right now our school year is on the verge of getting better!

The year of 2020-2021 has had its ups and downs. Many different opinions were shared, and many things happened that will never be forgotten. This will be a year no one will forget, especially our seniors.

Sincerely, 

Sophomore Aubrey Wardell 

Dear Editor,

It has come to my attention that many people don’t know how to cook. Therefore, we need a cooking class right here at LDHS. If we could find one teacher that could teach the juniors and seniors every year, it would really help to encourage the older student body to know these basic skills. This would be a good skill to learn, since the older you are, the more likely you are to be getting ready for college. When we, the student body, get ready for college, we need to be ready to take care of ourselves instead of relying on others. I know there is not much that you can do, but it’s a way to get the message out there. The more people that can see this letter, the more likely this class can be put forth. We need this class. Could you do me and the rest of the student body a favor and help us be prepared for our futures? 

Sincerely,

Sophomore Olivia Ballinger