Senior misses more from pre-quarantine life than expected

Me with Junior Laney Stokes and Senior Sara Puckett during last semester's spirit week.

Shannon Barksdale

Kyrstin Simmons, Staff Reporter

I never expected senior year to be this: school closures and mandatory social distancing. Granted, I never enjoyed coming to school every day, going through the same routine day-in and day-out and dealing with students flocking the halls like a menagerie of animals. I loathed the thought of sitting in rock-hard chairs and listening to the endless amounts of knowledge being drilled into my brain. Even though I strongly dislike school, there are things that I miss. 

As a human I search for a routine to fill my life; without it, I feel lost and disorganized. Going to school daily gave me some form of structure to go by. When I repeat something, it becomes a part of my life that I expect; some days I still wake up before sunrise in a panic, fearing being late even though school has been closed for over a month. When I was at school I was comfortable, having a set path I walked every day and my designated spot in class. Now that I’m at home, I feel as if there’s a void that needs to be filled, whether by people or by some daily activity. 

Being in isolation from the rest of the world does not help with the emptiness in my life. In the hallways between classes, I’m surrounded by the scent of overly-used perfumes and the echoes of people yelling across the way to their friends. Even though I got a headache if I was around those smells and sounds too long, I find myself missing them. It’s a comforting feeling having a mass of people with almost everyone sharing the same goal. 

It was bittersweet when I heard that I didn’t have to go back to school. I was excited to be able to sit at home and do nothing all day, but when I thought about the small things and memories I’ve made, I realized that I took all of those things for granted. I’ve been told that I should cherish the moments I have because I never know when they will come to an end;  I never expected to wake up one day and be told my senior year had come to an end three months sooner than it was supposed to, and I now regret not cherishing every moment.