Sword & Shield

The Breakfast Club; definitely a classic

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Breakfast Club is definitely a

The Breakfast Club is definitely a "classic". Go check it out!

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

Chloe Manley, Staff Reporter

The Breakfast Club is a movie that all types of people have heard of or seen before. If you have not watched this relatable ’80s comedy, I’m sure you have heard of it at least one time. This movie has been mentioned on countless tv shows and other movies time and time again. Starring Paul Gleason as a power-hungry principal, Molly Ringwald as a rich and privileged princess, Judd Nelson the rebel, Ally Sheedy as an outcast ‘‘freak,’’ Anthony Michael Hall as the brainy geek and finally Emilio Estevez as the jock, the film tells the story of very different teens who come together for one long Saturday detention and the bond they form  because of the aggressive principal they are up against. Sounds like any other teen movie, but what makes this dramatic teen film from 30 years ago be mentioned on tv shows and movies today, and why should it be?

Art teacher Daniel Sorrow simply stated that it is a “classic.” Sorrow could not explain why he thought that, just that The Breakfast Club was “one of those movies everyone should know.” Sorrow is right. There are so many relatable topics that teens still go through today — from not fitting in to getting in trouble to not having the best relationships with friends or family. Science teacher Teena Sullivan says the movie has all types of people in it (“the emo, the princess, the nerd, the jock, the rebel, the weirdo”) and it still relates to teens and older people today. Sullivan said it was definitely a “classic.” Another adult, history teacher Meredith Liner, says that the movie is more “iconic” than anything because it is mentioned in other movies and has countless references that people still use today. Liner did not know what to define as a classic.  

Liner and Sullivan both say that their children can watch the movie but only once they hit a certain age, around 12 or 13. The teachers said that they would offer this warning: Watch out kids: The Breakfast Club is relatable and funny but has foul language, and the references are mainly based for teens and young adults such as references to drugs and sexual innuendo. The movie has an R rating, so if you have not seen this “definitely classic” ’80s comedy, be sure to ask your parents if you are unsure if you are old enough.

Another reason many teens and older adults love The Breakfast Club is the amazing soundtrack that plays throughout the movie. Some of these songs include “Fire in the Twilight” by Wang Chung, “Waiting” by Elizabeth Daily and “I’m the Dude” by Keith Forsey. The most known song would obviously be “Don’t You (Forget about Me)” by Simple Minds. This song is one of the elements that this movie is best known for.

The Breakfast Club still has relatable topics and references today. It is dramatic and funny and will still stir up big talks even now.  Be sure to check this movie out if you have not seen it already; it’s definitely a “classic”!