Reading on the River becomes Reading at the Ridge

Garrick O'Dell

Seniors Jeffery Carroll, Jami Reese Darling and Nate Towles read to some children at the Reading on the River 2017.

Andrea Choice, Staff Reporter

Reading on the River is an event that has gone on every August since 2012 to help kids in our community who need school supplies. At the event, the kids receive a book bag full of school supplies and a free book, and LDHS students read to them. It helps the kids in our community with reading and gives them the confidence to go back to school to learn.

This year Reading on the River will become Reading at the Ridge, which is the City of Laurens’ new event space on Exchange Road. One benefit of being inside is that there can be air-conditioning. The volunteers with this event include LDHS students in National Honor Society, Student Council, Robotics, Agriculture, Horticulture, BETA Club, Drama, Orchestra, Band and Chorus. The event benefits 300 to 500 kids in our community each year.

Senior Carlee Price has helped with Reading on the River fortwo years. Everyone who volunteers has a specific task. Price helps with getting everything set up, and she also reads to the children. She decided to participate in this event because kids may not have the opportunity to get school supplies for the upcoming school year and it helps the community.

Price says helping others has its rewards.

“I had a kid who was five years old, who came up to me and gave me a hug while thanking me. It made me feel good inside. I knew I was doing the right thing,” she said.

Reading at the Ridge will be Aug. 18 from 9 a.m.- noon.