Sometimes a class becomes more than a class — it becomes a family

Kaitlyn McCort, Copy Editor

“Sometimes love means letting go when you want to hold on tighter.”

-Ink Exchange

I’m not going to lie and say I won’t miss Laurens High and walking into the busy school every morning; I’m not going to lie and say I won’t miss my classes and teachers. I’m not going to lie and say I won’t miss my friends and all the crazy things that happened in this school; I’m just going to be honest. I’m going to miss it all.

I didn’t realize that as my senior year came to a close I would be remembering every time I walked to Chorus as a freshman, as a sophomore, as a junior and finally as a senior; Chorus has been the main part of my life at Laurens, and I think I’ll miss that more than anything. The class is more than just a class; it’s a family. We work hard to learn and perfect the music we sing, but sometimes there is arguing and sickness and upset feelings. However, I’ve learned that no matter what the issue is, if you really love the passion you’ll do anything to right the wrongs.

Along with learning some vital life lessons, I’ve learned that you can make some of the best friends in Chorus because we all share the same passion — singing. I won’t forget the memories of singing loudly to “Jesus Clubbing” music or the hushed whispers in the car because we couldn’t talk after days of singing for hours at a time at Honor Choir; I won’t forget the crazy trips to Carowinds for competitions, and I definitely won’t forget the trip to New York to sing at Carnegie Hall. This simple thing you call a “class” has changed and shaped my life; Concert Choir has made me appreciate music more than I ever thought possible and has given me some of the best memories with the best people.

Music touches our souls, and that’s why we love to listen to it and to sing it — because we can connect to it. The bonds I’ve made in my section and across the choir surprised me because I didn’t realize how much music could influence me until I received that new piece of sheet music, huddled with my section to plunk it out on the piano, and sang through it. Learning the pieces gave me a new perspective because I finally knew what was going on behind closed doors when I watched other choirs; they became even more beautiful because I understood the hard work.

Laurens High is not perfect, but it has been a pleasant four years here. Ups and downs are normal for a school and a person, but I made it through and I’m proud to graduate a Raider. I will miss being on the Sword and Shield staff, being involved with Drama and singing in my Concert Choir. It was difficult finding time to do all I wanted to because of a job, private voice lessons, and homework for Honors classes, but I did it. I knew I wanted to make the most of my four years, and I feel I did; I’m proud of who I became while growing and maturing at this school and I will be even more proud of myself when I walk across that stage and touch my diploma.

I thank everyone who came into my life, who left it and who stayed; I thank my teachers and the staff for providing me a learning environment that would also make me a better person; and I thank the school itself for being my home for the past four years. I love being a Raider, but my time to shine is over — I’ll move over so the next person has a place to stand.