Letters To The Editor

Why Greek  History Should be a Required Course

Angelina Pascual, Reporter

Austin Doolittle

The Greeks and Romans had many great discoveries and ideals that have made their people, as well as their literature, very popular and well know. Now these archetypal ideas are only known by about 2 in 5 people, this is mainly because it has become less of a priority in our scholastic curriculum. I believe that it is extremely important for us to understand the ideas of a people that we receive most of our modern works from. Now I understand that this may just sound like a half-witted attempt for a mythology nerd to get a class based on Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon but, that’s only 5% of this article.  As any intellectual person would know, we based our form of government on the Greek’s idea of democracy. We also formed most of our literature and psychological principles after Greek philosophers.. These are my points that I will use to try and persuade you, whether you have a doctorate in literature or you are a single mother passing the time until “nap time” is over, so buckle up for a wild ride.

My first point is probably the most prominent and significant. We got all our ideas for government from the Greeks. Greeks were the first to trash the monarchy idea for a democracy, they decided to represent themselves. As a smaller country they were able to hold population-wide votes, now our democracy is a representative while Greece had a direct democracy. We did revise the ideas a little bit so they would work for us so, where Greeks would vote on decisions directly we vote for “representatives” to make those decisions for us. As you can see the Greeks obviously made an extreme influence in our society. Now I have set a precedent for the better understanding of Greek influence on us, let’s dive in now.

Now, the next tidbit that would be important to learn in a classroom is the philosophies and the literature. Greeks were known as very intense intellectuals so they’re philosophies are extremely important and thus, we stole them. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Pythagoras, and The Stoics are all the great philosophers from ancient Greece and they all have similar categories of thought but, different thought processes. We know some of their theories but, we don’t know who they are. Think back to math class in about 9th grade we learned the Pythagorean Theorem, well that was thought of by a great Greek philosopher named Pythagoras. Socrates founded the theory of Introspection which is literally becoming aware of the mistakes that you make yourself and this is a very important concept in psychology to be used to help people no longer blame others for the bad instances in their lives. So as we can see our modern ideas have been being used for over 2,000 years, that just seems to put things in perspective.

So in conclusion we can see how important the Greek influence is on our society today. We have received so much from the philosophers and writers and mathematicians. We have so much to owe to the Greeks form everything that we have “stolen” from them. Their ideas happened to be anything better than what we could have done on our own, even though we did revise most of the ideas like that of democracy. Finally my closing statements would be a final stand to get Greek History as a required course to graduate high school.