LDHS fashion and music trends travel back to 1977

A group of sophomores display their vintage sneakers, accessories and jeans. From left to right: Elizabeth Huffman, Natalie Winters and Liberty Adams

Sarah Collins, Staff Reporter

The year is 2017, but it may feel more like 1977. From fashion to entertainment, the ’70s are there. LDHS is certainly no exception.

Although the ’70s are ever recurring, freshman Kalob Hamilton seems to think it was a worse time than today.  

“I mean, I like the fashion part, but I think the ’70s were hectic. I mean, we have problems, but right now, I think we’re starting to have more technology, and it’s easier.”

Problems aside, fashion trends are evident in our society. Celebrities like Kendall Jenner, Selena Gomez and Beyoncé set the bar when it comes to who wears what and when to wear it. For these superstars, setting fashion standards requires attending “red carpet” events and critics’ constantly judging them. Their life is always on display for the public to see. At high school, setting fashion standards may be as easy as walking through the halls. The ’70s, however, seem to keep influencing style, even with the rich and famous. The question is: Why are the ’70s still affecting life today?

Our generation is almost the direct result of the ’70s; Most parents and teachers lived through or were born in this great decade. Everybody has been influenced by, or has at least some knowledge of, music or fashion in the ’70s. Resultantly, students at LDHS are now re-living the decade, or at least they are recycling its fashions.

With the long list of vintage trends growing by the day, ripped jeans, band tees, sneakers, patches, loud patterns and chokers are only some of the rage that is not so original.

“Even my grandma told me that she used to wear this stuff when she was a teenager,” freshman Emma Pressley said. Pressley’s grandma used to wear “bell bottoms, A-line shift dresses, hot pants, white go-go boots and Russian babushkas [which are similar to do-rags],” Pressley said.

Many stores are also encouraging this recycling of fashion. Companies such as Forever 21, Old Navy, T.J. Maxx, Hollister and Rue21 are now selling various types and sizes of these trends, but not always charging 1970’s prices for them. However, stores sell expensive clothes due  to the high demand of ’70s fashion. Even our dress code is recognizing the demand for ripped jeans and allowing us to wear them with certain restrictions, such as holes above the knee needing to be permanently patched.

English 2 teacher Flora Hobson thinks that the copying of fashion from earlier decades is simply a routine that gets repeated every few years.

“I think it’s totally normal. Well, really because there’s nothing new under the Sun. We’ve been dressing for a really long time, and there’s only so many variations that you can make in clothes. They’re short, or they’re long, or they are in-between,” she said.

Other people question how these fashion trends represent the ’70s in the first place. The decade, famous for Watergate, women’s rights and freethinkers, has hippies and rock ‘n’ roll written all over it. People may say that the peace movement of the ’60s died in the ’70s with the emergence of rock and punk, but this is completely untrue. Both groups continued to thrive well into the ’70s, leaving an impact on how we operate today.  In terms of clothing, rockers made sneakers and leather famous, while hippies brought distressed denim and loud patterns into the forefront of fashion. In all, ’70s fashion trends represent the different cultural aspects of the era.  

The rock ‘n’ roll genre continued to burgeon after the ’60s to the point where these music trends are being recycled now. Band tees have always made a statement in our society, but now more than ever, LDHS students see vintage bands displayed across the chests of people in the hallway. Popular ’70s bands include The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, KISS, The Who and The Clash, but why are kids in 2017 listening to the bands their parents and grandparents grew up listening to?

Freshman Hannah Barker “listens to old bands because it brings a different mood than new music. It slows things down and makes it calm instead of how music is today.”

The fact is that 2017 trends are not really 2017 trends.

“If something goes out of fashion, stick it in your closet, and hang on to it. It will come back,” Hobson said.

Much like that shirt in everyone’s closet or that CD in everyone’s car, the ’70s have continued to hang on to relevance. For this reason, freshman Jamaya Chappell believes vintage will never go out of style “because it happens every year. Old things start coming around again.”