Senior spotlight on Jermarius Evans

Katie Black

Evans speaks at winter graduation.

August Hughes, Staff Reporter

Senior Student Body President Jermarius Evans has been exceptionally involved in his years at the high school. Evans has been a part of Student Council, Gospel Choir, Beta Club, National Honor Society, Gentlemen’s Club, SIC and Concert Choir. While managing all of these extracurricular activities, Evans has managed to keep a 5.028 GPA.

“Jermarius’ involvement in school service projects, academics and athletic events does not go unnoticed. His time management and organizational skills make him an outstanding leader,” Student Council advisor Brooke Yarbrough said.

Evans plans to attend a four-year university and major in Music Education. He is currently deciding between Winthrop University and the University of South Carolina. Just like he has done in high school, Evans wants to stay involved in college and plans on joining the campus choirs and maybe even the student government. He says it is important to stay involved.

“It keeps me going, and I enjoy having things to do outside of academics,” Evans said. 

Counting down the days to the new adventure, Evans can not wait for the new experience, atmosphere and surroundings; however, he says he is not so excited about having to leave his family and friends. 

After college, Evans hopes to become a chorus teacher. His experience as a member of the Concert Choir will prepare him for the future.

“Jermarius is a chorus teacher’s dream. He always has a can-do attitude and is willing to help others as well. Of course, it helps that he’s also extremely talented,” chorus teacher Ashley King said.  

Even though Evans is involved in multiple activities, when most people hear Evans’ name, they think of him as a vocalist. He has had a passion for singing ever since he was four years old. Evans has even been on a show called Nite Line, a gospel program that airs on Greenville’s WGGS, on which people come from all over and sing. He was introduced to the show through a singing competition. 

Everyone enjoys hearing Evans singing, including close friend Colin Gambrell. 

“Jermarius’ performances are always energetic and enjoyable to watch. His passion for music has never wavered, and he has made a lot of people smile from his amazing, God-given talent,” Gambrell said. 

Evans is a well-rounded student, an active leader and a brilliant singer.  He hopes to take everything he has learned to guide him in the future.

Watch Evans’ and the LDHS chorus perform a cover of “Stand Up.”