Lady Raider soccer strives for comeback

Senior striker Priscilla Paniagua (9) attempts to steal the pass from a Greer Middle College Charter High School player (12) as junior Anna Jenkins (18) makes a run for the pass . Senior midfielder Logan Thompson (16) and senior center back Hatchell Hardy (4) follow the play in the Feb.25 game.

Morgan Garrett, Staff Reporter

Every athlete’s worst feeling is defeat. For decades, Laurens girls’ soccer has been infamous for holding a losing streak of defeat. Even so, all of the players run head-first into the game anticipating that win. 

Last season, before getting shut down by COVID-19, the Lady Raiders had a standing of 2-4, possibly the best ratio they have ever experienced. The last time the ladies had won a game was two seasons prior. Senior Hatchell Hardy said, “I felt very proud of my team that night, I had almost forgotten what the feeling to win felt like.”

The team accomplished those victories with 21 players. Around 12 freshmen tried out this year, and most of these players moved up from the middle school team, a squad on which players from all four middle schools in the district come together. The middle school team only formed four years ago. However, this meant that these freshmen were coming in with playing experience already, a big step for LDHS soccer. 

In addition to Coach Christina McAbee, Coach Sarah Albertson became the assistant coach for the high school girls. 

“I took the assistant coach position because I love soccer, and I like interacting with other players.”, Albertson said. Albertson played soccer at Thomson High School in Georgia and coached the undefeated collective middle school girls’ team last year. Having Albertson as an assistant coach allows her to work with individual groups, accomplishing more at a faster rate.

With freshmen experience, a team of 23 girls and an assistant coach, the Lady Raiders have a chance for victory this season. Hopefully, this is the season that girls’ soccer can make a name for itself.