Sword & Shield

The military impact on life

Recruiters+coming+to+view+and+inspect+cadets+at+Annual+Military+Inspection.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The military impact on life

Recruiters coming to view and inspect cadets at Annual Military Inspection.

Lily King

Lily King

Lily King

Lily King, Staff Reporter

Imagine 18-year-old Cullen Smith,´18,  trying to figure out what to do in his future, walking into Basic Training prepared for the biggest journey of his life. After 13 weeks of hard work, dedication and unique training, Smith was able to march and put on dress blues, knowing that a new man stood in his place. He walked more proudly, held doors for others, took care of people in a new way and cherished the people around him more than ever. So many people who, like Smith, choose to serve in the Armed Forces have similar stories of change.

Any young adults like Smith and recruiters Staff Sergeant Joseph Mass and Gunnery Sergeant Melvin Glenn Reno decide to go into the many branches of the military and take journeys most could not do, but come back seeing noticeable positive changes in how they act, think and react to the world. No matter what branch, all notice a change in one way or another.

With many people, they noticed not only with themselves but others an impact in becoming more responsible and mature adults. Most go in around 17 to 18 years old with behaviors like not taking many things seriously and being sarcastic in nature, but they say the military helps them to learn more social skills by traveling and meeting new people.

One of the biggest benefits that overlaps with NJROTC and the real branches of the military is that the changes are positive. Service members come out changed for the better. For me personally, when I first came into NJROTC, I was very timid and shy and was scared to speak up. It all was so new and unknown to me, a huge change in my life. NJROTC boosts students’ confidence, makes them much prouder of themselves and shows cadets how truly strong they are.

After only one semester I started to speak more confidently, tried new and different things I never would have tried before, and learned how to handle people in a few ways. However,  my story does not just end with NJROTC. Many like me have gone even further and see the changes.

One of the biggest changes both teens going into military and recruiters notice is that they cherished family more than when they first left.

¨Being away from family was hard,¨ Senior Chief John Davis said.  Family becomes more precious, and learn what being without them is truly like.

Another big change people that joined noticed was that they came to cherish life more than they had when they first joined the military. they learn that they can genuinely serve a purpose and have worth to many.

The military has such a special effect on people’s lives as they go from young adults wanting to try something new to becoming strong independent soldiers who come out more respectful, loyal and with new attitudes on life. It’s a powerful fact about the military: It shapes them into a better person with a strong, definitive future.