What the office is like

Senior+Bud+Jones+signing+in+after+coming+back+from+showing+school+spirit+at+Hickory+Tavern.++With+the+first+home+game+comes+the+most+school+spirit%3B+LDHS+students+try+to+encourage+other+kids+to+join+in+on+celebrating+this+year%27s+sports+season.+

Evelyn Camargo

Senior Bud Jones signing in after coming back from showing school spirit at Hickory Tavern. With the first home game comes the most school spirit; LDHS students try to encourage other kids to join in on celebrating this year's sports season.

Brenda Bennett and Evelyn Camargo, staff reporters.

It is 9:01 a.m. Friday, Aug. 31, and senior football player Bud Jones stands in the office checking himself in. Junior Briana Griffin hands him a ticket and sends him to class. Jones is one of the several athletes to come in the door this morning. They are coming back from Hickory Tavern Elementary after visiting to show school spirit for the first home football game.

When students step into the office, they are greeted by several faces: student worker Griffin and receptionists Angie Howell and Amber Thompson  are all people who keep the school running.

The office becomes especially busy in-between 8:17 and 8:31 a.m., due to late arrivals. Griffin and Howell do their best to get students smoothly out of the office and on their ways to their classes.

“It feels pretty good to work in the office,” Griffin said. “I see people, get to know them, and I tell them where to go.”

Griffin gives students and visitors passes, delivers packages, gets mail and takes people to places in the school that they might not be particularly familiar with. She says she likes to work with Howell because “she is a good person; she’s funny, nice and will help you with your problems.”

Safety precautions are in the hands of Thompson, who finds herself answering the phone, getting students from class, updating tornado plans, fire plans — any plan that helps us get through an emergency. Working as a secretary for 15 years, but working in our school for the past three years, Thompson says that she wishes we could add “doors where you can’t see in and a buzzer.”

“We have a really good team here,” Thompson said. She works her hardest to keep us protected.

The office is the hive of the school, and the people who work there work hard and do their best for our well being.

Evelyn Camargo
Senior Bud Jones signs in after coming back from showing school spirit at Hickory Tavern. With the first home game comes the most school spirit; LDHS students try to encourage other kids to join in on celebrating this year’s sports season.