Peeking in art class

Angelina Pascual

#ARTLUMINATI screen printed t-shirt

Angelina Pascual, Staff Reporter

What is art? Art is an expression of feelings, thoughts and observations. It is a form of communication. In art teacher Daniel Sorrow’s class he allows freedom of expression and creativity, whether students are screen printing t-shirts, emphasizing the use of negative space or creating a digital portfolio.

Screen printing, otherwise known as “serigraphy,” is a step-by-step printing process in which ink is forced through a fine screen onto paper below. Screens were initially made out of silk, but they are now made out of woven polyester or nylon. The screen is then stretched across a wooden or aluminum frame; then areas of the screen are blocked off using some sort of stencil.  Afterwards, the screen is placed on paper, and ink is spread on the screen. Using a squeegee (a tool with a flat, smooth rubber blade), an artist spreads the ink, evenly across the screen, allowing the ink to pass through open spaces onto the paper. In Sorrow’s classes, students apply the ink to a shirt and not paper. “It’s pretty cool once you know what you’re doing and not getting the ink on yourself,” Alyssa Bagwell said.

Another project the art students are working on involves negative space. Negative space is the bare or open space surrounding an object that defines it. In other words, it is the breathing space of the object. Giving the object or the subject a sufficient amount of negative space creates more focus. Without the use of negative space, the design will either look too crowded or complicated for some viewers. The use of negative space is an essential aspect in many designs. “Using negative space really makes the art just pop! All this space makes it more better. It keeps you interested in the main object that you want the viewer to be really looking at,’ Brandon Nelson said.

Digital portfolios are made to showcase someone’s creation, work or process of work. Usually, they show the artist’s best work or something the artist is working on. Not only does it showcase your artwork, it also shows your growth. Portfolios allow the student/artist to reflect on experiences and the students growth. It’s more of a notebook containing one’s thought process and work.

10th grade art student, Alysa Bagwell’s, favorite part of her class is the teacher.

“My favorite part about the class is Mr.Sorrow because he just makes the class so much better because of the way he interacts with everyone and tries to make things interesting and fun,” Bagwell said. Based on many students, comments, Sorrow keeps his class active and amusing. Sometimes the class is more than creating art.