Summer reading for honors classes

2018-2019 SCYABA banner

Lauren Carman, Staff Reporter

The final bell of the 2017-2018 school year will sound June 6, and all students will be dismissed for classes for the summer. For some students, however, more work has just begun. Students who take English I Honors, English II Honors, English III Honors, AP Literature and AP Language have the obligation to complete reading in the summer months.

Summer reading is a list of books teachers select for students to read. Normally, students have to read and write about two to three books that they choose from the summer reading list. Reading books is very important.

English teacher Rebecca Pearson thinks that “reading connects you to other people’s minds and thoughts, and it’s also a critical life skill that you should practice.”

Teachers give students books from the 2018-19 South Carolina Young Adult Book Award Nominees list and books that will help them in the class. This year is the first year the English Department has added informational articles to supplement a second novel. These articles relate to the class novel that everyone will read. They expose students to different themes and issues that might appear in the class novel. For one book, students have to keep a journal every day that they read, and they will have to take notes on elements of fiction. However, the assignment may be different for each class; students should get a reading list from their new teachers before the 2017-2018 school year is over. For the summer reading books, students will also take a test, answer questions or write papers. 

Unlike other English classes, English 101 and English 102 will not have reading over the summer. Next year’s classes will be taught by English teacher Amy George. George says that she will not require summer reading because it is a college class. However, she will post lists over the summer for students who want to get ahead.

The best way to get summer reading done is to start early. It is very hard to actually have the energy to start right after school ends, but if students keep putting off reading, it is going to be too late, and they will cram everything into the week before.

“I start the second or third week of summer and steadily chip away at it,” sophomore Feagin Hardy said.

The last thing someone wants to do is to have to read two to three books in one week. Read a book and finish all of the assigned work every three weeks. That way, students will have enough time to fit in a week or two to take a break from it all.

English 1 Honors Summer Reading

English 2 (9th grade) Honors Summer Reading

English 2 (10th grade) Honors Summer Reading

English 3 Honors Summer Reading