LDHS students remember victims of Parkland shooting

Elizabeth Hoefer

Students walked out of class at 10 a.m. to remember victims of the Parkland shooting.

Elizabeth Hoefer, Online Editor

In honor of the lives lost in American school shootings, LDHS students, faculty and staff participated in several events March 14.

Student Council encouraged Raiders to wear black to “speak up against violence in schools” and to participate in the National School Walk Up, which promotes getting to know others who are not parts of students’ usual circles.

At 9:55 a.m. junior Peyton Crowder came over the PA system to speak about “walk up instead of walk out” and the lives lost in the Parkland school shooting. Crowder said the following:

“On Feb. 14, 2018, tragedy struck Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in the community of Parkland, Florida. The shooter entered the building and activated a fire alarm nearby. At around 2:21 p.m., he began shooting. The shooting lasted around six minutes, after which the shooter dropped his weapon and fled the building, blending in with the other students. On that day, 17 lives were lost: 14 students unable to go to prom, graduate, or go off to college; three faculty members heroically died protecting their students. That’s three parents, sons, daughters, brothers and sisters. Today, we honor their memory by wearing black and walking up instead of walking out. Walk up to someone you’ve never met, embrace them, and let them know that you are always there if they need anything. We don’t know what tomorrow holds. We may not even have tomorrow. Be kind to one another, and be your brother’s keeper. Today we remember:

• Alyssa Alhadeff, aged 14
  • Scott Beigel, 35
  • Martin Duque, 14
  • Nicholas Dworet, 17
  • Aaron Feis, 37
  • Jaime Guttenberg, 14
  • Chris Hixon, 49
  • Luke Hoyer, 15
  • Cara Loughran, 14
  • Gina Montalto, 14
  • Joaquin Oliver, 17
  • Alaina Petty, 14
  • Meadow Pollack, 18
  • Helena Ramsay, 17
  • Alex Schachter, 14
  • Carmen Schentrup, 16
  • Peter Wang, 15 “
Crowder’s announcement was followed by a 17-second moment of silence.
Although it was not sanctioned by the school, many students chose to go to Commons at 10 a.m. for 17 minuets to remember the lives lost.