Bond referendum does not pass; no new high school in near future

Sasha Jenkins

Students work in art teacher Mr. Sorrow’s class.

Sasha Jenkins, Staff Reporter

For months now people have been debating whether there should be a new Laurens District High School built. On Tuesday, Sep. 5, there was a referendum or vote, on whether the district will build it or not, but citizens rejected the proposal by a 77-23 percent  margin.

If the school were built, then there would be property taxes added on Laurens County residents of District 55 to cover the $109 million construction cost. If the school were not built the existing school  would stay the same. Some people like Johniemae Pitts.

“I don’t feel they need a new school. They need to upgrade what they have, I say because Laurens can’t keep up with the Johnsons,” she said. Some people were all for the school but then changed their minds, like freshman  Chloe Manly.

“I think they shouldn’t build it because it’s to costly,” she said

Kids who are not in high school also had concerns about the school.

“I think the vote on the new school is a bad idea because I don’t want the new high school to affect the rest of the schools. The school would also cost a lot, and everybody can’t afford more taxes. Then again, the school is pretty old and the new school would provide more space,” Laurens Middle School sixth grader Jayla Jenkins said.

On the other hand, people like Superintendent Dr. Stephen Peters was disappointed about the referendum outcome. On WSPA.com, Peters stated,”Several months ago, we embarked on a journey to bring a brighter future to the children of Laurens County School District 55. We are very disappointed with the outcome of today’s referendum ,there is a greater concern. We feel compelled to call on all the leaders of our communities to come together to find ways to heal the wounds of division that have become so evident.”

Peters also went on to say, “In the weeks ahead, I will be calling on our scommunities to become true partners in the future of LCSD 55.”

Sword & Shield found that some students did not show any emotion towards the referendum.

“I could care less about the vote,” freshman Adaisha Jones said.

Now the big question is what the district will do now that the new school vote has failed. The answer still remains uncertain.

Sasha Jenkins
Students work in art teacher Daniel Sorrow’s class.